1 cup white rice
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
1 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
The rind of a lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter
4-5 basil leaves (optional)
- Finely dice onion, crush garlic, and finely chop the carrot and zucchini (or blitz in a food processor for a few seconds until coarsest chopped)
- Wash the rice.
- Zest the lemon
- Heat a deep pot on medium/high heat with the olive oil.
- Add the veggies including half of the lemon rind and sauté for 3-4 minutes
- Stir through rice and mix ensuring all the grains are covered in oil.
- Pour in the stock, season with salt/pepper, and bring up to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and place the lid on and cook for a further 12-15 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Mix through butter and season with lots of cracked pepper, the remaining lemon rind, and torn basil leaves.
Serve with your favourite protein and salad.