1 large carrot
1 bunch Choy sum
1 cup white cabbage
1 clove garlic
1 onion (finely diced)
4 eggs (beaten)
3 cups cooked white rice (day old)
2 tablespoons Chinese wine
1/3 cup soy sauce (or Tamari) (add more if needed)
3-5 tablespoons neutral oil
Coriander leaves to garnish
Lime Ginger Chicken
500g chicken tenderloins
1 lime juice
Zest of a lime
1 heaped tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 red chilli (finely diced)
2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce
2cm piece grated ginger
1 clove minced garlic
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons neutral oil
- Lightly season the chicken and add all the marinade items to a bowl with the chicken and stir to combine.
- Marinate overnight or for at least 2 hours
- To a hot pan add half of the chicken, lower heat to medium (so it doesn’t burn on the outside and cooks through). Brown on both sides. Remove when cooked through and repeat with the remaining chicken.*
*Cook the chicken 8-10 minutes before the rice is ready to be served.
Tip: For the best fried rice, it’s recommended to cook the rice the day before you are using it. Lay it on a tray in the fridge. This prevents the rice from sticking together and going soggy.
- Dice the onion, chop the white/light green parts of the shallots (the softer green parts to be used for garnishing) and crush the garlic. Finely chop 3-4 roots of the coriander.
- Grate the carrot with a box grater and finely slice the cabbage. Cut the Choy sum stalks on a diagonal and roughly chop the leaves (approximately 4 parts)
- Heat a wok and when hot, add 3 tablespoons of oil. Pour in the beaten egg (season lightly with salt) and using a spatula, start to fold the egg in over itself, until it all cooks.
- Remove and place on a paper towel.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the wok andcook the onion, shallots, garlic and coriander root for 2 minutes.
- Add in the grated carrot and cabbage. Mix through and add a splash of water. After a 3-4 minutes of cooking, add in the rice, the Choy sum and egg. Add in soy sauce and mix all the ingredients until all the rice grains are coated. Add a few more splashes of soy sauce if needed.
- Slice the chicken pieces and place on top of the rice. Scatter over the green parts of the chopped shallots and some fresh coriander leaves.