1 bunch of silverbeet
30g Baby Spinach (half a bag)
1 block of Greek feta
1 block of Danish feta
1-2 teaspoons of fresh dill (finely chopped, optional)
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
Zest of a lemon
Salt/Pepper to taste
2 sheets puff pastry
9 sheets of filo pastry
30g melted butter
1 heaped teaspoon sesame seeds
Butter to grease dish
Baking dish : approximately 33cm x 22cm
- Add the chopped silverbeet to boiling water and cook for approximately 15 minutes, strain and allow to cool
- Once cooled, squeeze out as much of the excess water as possible. Roughly chop.
- Remove pastry from freezer and thaw.
- Pre heat oven to 200 deg Celsius.
- Grease a baking tray (approx 30 x20cm)
- Add cooled spinach to a bowl, with the whisked eggs, finely chopped shallots, Greek and Danish feta, nutmeg, and roughly chopped baby spinach. Season well with salt & pepper.
- Using your hands, combine the mixture well.
- Lay the puff pastry sheets to cover the base of the baking dish. Cut a strip of the excess to place on the sides of the dish (to create a wall to prevent the filling from falling out.
- Fill with the spinach/cheese mixture.
- Brush the melted butter on a filo pastry sheet. Top with another sheet and repeat the process. Place the sheets on top of the pie, folded gentle to create a lid. Brush some more butter to press the sheets into the sides of the dish.
- Repeat the process, buttering three sheets of filo pastry and place ontop of the pie. Repeat this one last time and brush with butter.
- Sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Serve with your favourite salad