6 chicken drumsticks
2 medium carrots
2 stalks celery
1 large potato
5-6 thyme stalks
2 tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon dried chilli
2 bay leaves
1/3 cup barley
1 can of cannellini beans
2 cups baby spinach
1 cob of corn (or 2 small tins
9-12 cups water
Salt & pepper to taste
3 tablespoons of olive oil
3-4 slices sourdough (cut into cubes)
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
Parmesan cheese to serve
1/2 cup rissoni pasta
- Finely dice the carrots, celery, onions, leek and potato. Finely chop the parsley, including stalks and set aside.
- Heat a large deep pot on medium heat and add the diced carrots, celery, onions, leek, potatoes, bay leaves and thyme. Add a pinch of salt and allow the vegetables the sauté for a 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken drumsticks, barley, chopped tomatoes, 9 cups of water and bring it to the boil
- Add the dried chilli flakes.
- After the soup has boiled for 30 minutes, add the cannelloni beans (including the liquid) and roughly chopped baby spinach. Add in salt and pepper. Taste to check.
- Lower the heat and continue to cook. Add in the corn cobs. If the water evaporates add an extra cup of water (or as needed) if you want a looser soup.
- When the chicken starts to break off, remove the legs and shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the pot.
- To make the sourdough croutons, cut them into small cubed pieces.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a pan. Add the bread and toss for a few minutes until the bread starts to turn golden .
- If you choose to serve this soup with pasta, rissoni works well. Cook this seperate and serve the soup on top.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan, sourdough croutons and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.