1 large eggplant
1/2 cup of tomato sauce
120g ham or 6-8 slices prosciutto
1/2 cup fresh ricotta
1/2 cup bocconcini halved (approx)
Handful of basil leaves
1 tin of tomatoes (400g)
1 clove garlic
1/4 of an onion
2 tablespoons Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Peel eggplant and cut into 5mm pieces.
- Lay on a board and lightly salt both sides. Set aside for 10-15 minutes (this draws out any bitter juices.
- Using a paper towel pat each piece dry.
- Place on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.
- If making your own tomato sauce, finely dice the onion and crush the garlic.
- Add olive oil and the onion and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and sauté until aromatic (for a few minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt. Bring to the bubble and lower to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small tray, add a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce and spread it out.
- When the eggplant is cooked, lay over the sauce, top with a piece of ham, a spread of ricotta, a few pieces of bocconcini and a basil leaf. Roll the eggplant and repeat the process until you have used up all the eggplant pieces.
- Spoon tomato sauce over each eggplant and top each piece with a few bocconcini pieces and basil leaves.
- Place tray back in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately
CHEF NOTE: To speed up the process, prep your cooked eggplant and tomato sauce in advance. Use the remainder of the tomato sauce for homemade pizzas, to add on a toastie or mix through some rice or pasta.