1 large beetroot
8 medium button mushrooms
1 Spanish (purple) onion
2 cloves garlic
8 stalks fresh thyme (leaves only)
3 fresh bay leaves (finely chopped)
1 block of Greek feta cheese
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
5-6 tablespoons olive oil
2 sheets of store bought puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Peel and cut the beetroot into small cubes. Season with salt and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until they soften slightly
- While the beetroot is cooking slice the leek (white part only) into thin circles and halve the onion and slice into circular pieces.
- Slice the mushrooms and then cut in half again. Crush the garlic.
- Heat a frypan on medium heat with the butter, add the thyme leaves (no stalks) and the leek and onions. Season well with salt. Cook for 10 minutes, lower the heat and place a lid on for 5 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and allow the liquid to evaporate.
- The leeks/onion are ready when caramelised.
- Add them to a bowl. Using the same pan, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, remaining thyme leaves and the crushed garlic.
- Add the mushrooms, spread them out in the pan. Stir occasionally until they brown. Approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
- Remove the beetroot from the oven. Combine with the leeks, onions, and mushrooms.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220 degrees.
- Line a pan with baking paper and thaw out the sheets of puff pastry. Overlap slightly in the middle and press down to seal them together.
- Add the beetroot, mushroom mix to the pastry leaving a 2cm space around the edges.
- Fold in the edges of the pastry.
- Beat an egg and brush the folded edges of the pastry.
- Crumble over the feta over the top of all the vegetables.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden.