1 small carrot (finely diced)
1 stick of celery (finely diced)
1 large onion (finely diced)
1/2 red capsicum (finely diced)
2 ripe tomatoes (finely chopped)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon of cracked pepper
1/4 cup white dry wine
2 cups semolina pastina (or orzo/rissoni)
6 cups chicken stock or broth (heated)
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper
- Heat a large pot to medium heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is warmed, add the finely chopped, carrots, celery, capsicum, onion with a good pinch of salt. Sauté the veggies for 5 minutes. Add in the bay leaves , pepper and paprika.
- Prepare the stock in a seperate saucepan (warmed if using homemade or store bought liquid stock)
- Add in the diced tomatoes and white wine, cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add in the pastina/orzo pasta and stock. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer with the lid on. Cook for 9 minutes. When ready, the pasta will be cooked and sauce creamy. Taste for salt.
- Serve with celery fronds, cracked pepper and grated Parmesan.