8 cups water
4 heaped tablespoons powdered beef or chicken bone broth (or follow instructions for quantity)
1 stalk celery
1 clove garlic
2 stalks fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoon chopped parsley
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
250g Rissoni Pasta
*see below for chicken poletti ingredients
NB we used Nutra Organics Beef Broth found at health food stores.
Chicken Polpetti (Meatballs)
500g chicken mince
2 tablespoons finely diced parsley
1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
1 teaspoon dried onion
1 /2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
3 slices of bread
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and thyme leaves.
- Boil the kettle with water
- Heat a medium size pot with olive oil on medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Add diced vegetables (except the tomatoes). Season lightly with salt and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the bone broth/stock and boiling water along with the diced tomatoes. Cook for a further 10 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the rissoni pasta and chicken meatballs and parsley into the pot and cook for 8-10 minutes. If you prefer more liquid in your soup, add more water/stock.
- Serve immediately with fresh grated Parmesan
To make the chicken meatballs
- Pour the milk over the bread and allow it to soak up the moisture. Break the bread up until it forms a soft mush.
- Add all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix to combine everything thoroughly. Using a teaspoon to scoop up the chicken mix and form the balls with your hands.
- They will be sticky and won’t form perfect balls.