Ingredients (serves 5-6)
2 lamb shanks
2 stalks celery
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
3 stalks thyme
1/2 cup barley
7-8 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons continental parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon juice & drizzle of olive oil to serve
- Finely dice all the vegetables into small cubes.
- In a large heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and brown shanks on both sides.
- Season lightly with salt/pepper.
- Remove shanks from the pot.
- Add the carrots, crushed garlic, onion, fennel seeds and celery.
- Stir and sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, parsnip and potatoes and stir to combine.
- Add the shanks back in the pot along with the bayleaf, thyme, stock and barley.
- Bring to the boil, then lower to a simmer with lid on and cook for approximately 1.5 hours.
- Test lamb, remove if meat falls off the bone.
- Use two forks to shred the lamb off the bone and return meat to the soup.
- Finish with stirring through chopped parsley in last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.